There are something things in life you know will probably happen in the future, yet are never prepared for when they actually do… My baby brother’s wedding is one of those things. Maybe it is because he is the baby of the family, so it’s some subconscious part of my brain thinks that while he is now an adult… he should also still be 10 and watching me dominate at Mario Party.
The fact that I felt unprepared for the event is also ridiculous because this wedding was planned like nothing I had ever experienced before… there was a run sheet for everything, logistics meetings and 1000s of texts and calls to confirm details for the part my little family of three had to play… you would think that with all that preparation I would have realised what was happening… but I didn’t.
I still hadn’t caught on as I helped them move things into their new apartment, or when I sat through a very detailed wedding logistics meeting last weekend. Not even when I tried on my new dress or rehearsed the song that we had chosen for me to lead the congregation in singing during the ceremony. The penny still didn’t drop when Dave and I were watching Isaac be driven around in a miniature convertible making sure he would love his trip down the isle and not scream. Even yesterday as I got my hair and makeup done… I still hadn’t let the reality sink in… I don’t think I actually realised until I watched my my little brother articulate clearly and beautifully all the things he loved about the woman standing in front of him as he read the vowels he had written for her.
Yesterday I got to witness two young people promise to be the moon and so much more for each other, to share their lives, to support and challenge. To be their person for all time… and it was beautiful. It was also a really nice reminder of the things that I had promised to my person almost 8 years ago. But this blog is not about that. This blog is to admit that I finally get it… he is a grown up… and he is married. And… because of all of this I have gained a passionate, strong and caring sister who balances and loves my brother better than I could have hoped. This is one of things that gets quickly overlooked at weddings, overshadowed by the displays of love and affection. When people get married it’s not just two people who get joined for life, but families that grow… well that’s how it is supposed to work anyway. Our already complex and large family grew by one and her family. Which means that while we get one more person to care for and include, it also means we gain one more person on our team, to love and support us, just as we will her. Marriage is an old, but powerful thing and it is most definitely worth celebrating.
Oh… and just in case you didn’t notice, this event crossed number 24 off my list and number 5 off Isaac’s list which just adds to the fun!
I really love to read… I love books, I really love the smell of a book, I love my kindle, I love love reading… but recently it has slipped right down my priority list… having a new baby will do that. But he isn’t so new anymore, and if I don’t start being deliberate about doing things I love and that are good for me, he will be moving out of home and I will be wondering why I stopped reading all those years ago. But anyone who knows me, knows I am a rule follower and I need structure… so I have decided to get some help with my desire to read more… I have joined a book club.
I have been in a book club before, but that book club no longer exists, so I have been book club-less for a couple of years and I have really missed it. I have missed it for a few reasons…
1. I need a deadline… a goal… this is not new information though…
2. I like being part of something bigger than me… I like being able to talk about something in common that isn’t the standard stuff.
3. I am not good at trying new books with out a good reason – book club made me read things that I would never have considered with out a push.
The book club I have joined is also pretty great because I can participate as much or as little as want… and if it all falls apart from my end… well it’s so big that no one will notice. I have decided I am joining Reese’s Book Club from Hello Sunshine… I feel like I am joining the new version of Oprah’s book club and that I am probably a sell out, but I have read some of here book recommendations before and I have enjoyed them, so why not ey? It appears all I have to do is post a picture of the book and tag the right things and I am in… and I don’t really need to do that, I could just read the books on the sly… but I’ll probably tag it…
I have about 50 pages left in the book I am currently reading ‘Seven Days That Divide the World’ by John C. Lennox… which has been excellent… I am all over science and creation… just ask me… it is super fascinating. God is very very clever… but once I am done… I am in with book 1 for 2019… The Library Book by Susan Orlean with my new international book club. If you are really lucky I might even do some reviews… I guess we will just have to watch this space.
P.S Is book club one word or two? I’m not really sure…
How the heck we are already in 2019 I will never understand… but nevertheless a new year means a new list… and I think it is going to be fun.
I feel like… well I am hoping 2019 is going to be a year of home and family, where we get to do things together and make the most of our family time. A year for good health (minus all the childcare bugs we are bound to pick up), activities and learning. I am not sure if we will be able to cross everything off the list, but we will give it a good crack.
We are up to list number 11 this year… pretty nuts ey? So if you are new here… firstly welcome… but you might want to check out some of the old lists here: 2006, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018). What can you expect from this year’s list? Well like normal… some self improvement tasks (physical, spiritual and mental), some fun tasks, some things I just have to do and some more baby friendly things… because mum life is now in full swing.
Seeing as Isaac did so well on his list this year he gets another one too, it has been fun to document some of his milestones through here… and I really hope to do a better job of it this year, because really that’s a long standing goal… be better at blogging interesting things more consistently. Anyway, enough chat… here are the lists….
- Watch a Disney Movie I haven’t seen for a while with Isaac
- Re-learn how to do a rubix cube
- Bring back date days and go on at least 6 dates
- Visit all three Melbourne Zoos
- Go overseas
- Have a weekend away
- Work as a teacher
- Use my sewing machine
- Do my 50th parkrun
- Use our museum membership
- Run most of a half marathon
- Finish Isaac’s quiet book
- Let things heal
- Don’t snooze – just get up
- Plan at night
- Go camping
- Walk Dex regularly
- Plan our grocery shopping and meals at the same time – preferably weekly
- Cook dinner regularly
- Moisturise regularly
- Finish the scrap books
- Consistently exercise at least once a week
- Keeps my useless phone time under control
- Go to a wedding
- Read 7 books
- Go to the footy
- Make some playdoh
- Bake meringues
- Finish watching Deep Space Nine
- Swim some laps
- Write at least 15 blogs.
- Make a gingerbread house from scratch
- Be ok with Isaac going to childcare
- Give Dr Who a go
- Eat 5 new foods
- Go barefoot on sand, grass, carpet, tiles and concrete and talk about how it feels with Isaac
- Read a book to Isaac everyday
- Try 3 new restaurants
- Buy an item of clothing that you really love but isn’t like anything you’d usually wear!
- Memorize a chapter of the bible
- Take Isaac & Dexter to the dog beach.
- Visit three new playgrounds!
- 5 new cafes with 5 new people
- Volunteer at parkrun
- Do some trivia
- Find the dragons nest in kallista
- Be deliberate about filling the house will lovely things
- Investigate our options
- Fill out Isaac’s baby book
- Go for a walk with my bestie
- Plant and grow some veggies
- Update the photo wall
- Go swimming with Isaac
- Take a picture everyday
- Turn off my social media for a week
- Lights out by midnight
- Finish Isaac’s logs and decide what to do with them
- Wear a non-black t-shirt outfit at least once a week
- Update our budget
- Keep getting closer
- Wash my car at least 3 times
- Sort out the photo storage and keep it up to date
- Keep my desk at home clean
- Scan the photos in
- Finally finish the bible plan I started 2 years ago… it’s getting embarrassing
- Have another brunch date with Isaac
- Have a brunch with Dave… without Isaac
- Have brunch by myself
- Work out what I am allergic to
- Get a haircut
- Go berry picking
- Get my steps average up to 10000 per day.
- Cross at least two things off the list each month
- Use my gratitude diary and Isaac’s highlights book
- Play a board game/card game
- Make an iTunes playlist for each season
- Have high tea
- Get a massage
- Have a cup of tea at robinsons bookstore
- Learn a new skill
- Have a picnic
- Go on a family bike ride
- Get a tea advent calendar
- Learn about 3 new Australian birds
- Add a quick 10 minute clean to your night routine
- Give something in our house a makeover
- Try meatless Monday
- Work on my feet
- Have a no spend day once a month
- Find another way to save a little bit of the planet
- Call my grandparents regularly
- Turn on music instead of the TV
- Boil some eggs
- Try one of those meal prep provider companies like hello fresh
- Make some banana bread
- Go to the movies
- Make the most of our weekends
- Read for 10 minutes a day
- Do my devotions at least 5 times a week
- Listen to at least one audiobook
- Learn to walk
- Learn at least 5new words
- Go on the little trains in Eltham
- Go swimming
- Be in a wedding
- Play outside
- Cuddle all of my grandparents (including my great grandparents)
- Build a sandcastle
- Go to the park
- Finger paint
- Do a puzzle
- Go to the library
- Play with some bubbles
- Do a fun run / walk
- Go to childcare
- Learn to climb
- Go down the slide by myself
- Have a big boy bath
- Pat some new animals
- Go to a new zoo
- Go to the museum
- Learn the actions to a song
- Play with my Mother’s group friends
- Sort some shapes
- Play with some blocks
Ok… there they are… 2 new glorious lists… let us know if you want to cross anything off with us.