It’s that time of year again, the night before my birthday… and today like most years I have spent some of the day reflecting… I’m not sure what it is about birthdays, but they always a good time to take stock of the year that was, the things that I have learnt and the ways I have grown. So just like the last couple of years, I’ve popped it into a little list… a list of 31 things to be thankful for, to acknowledge or just remember before I turn 32 tomorrow.
- So far my 30s are great… tough and exciting, but somehow much more satisfying.
- The coffee thing was just the sleep deprivation… I am back on full time tea.
- I really like being outside… I often forget this though… I should make a point to remember because it is good for my body and my soul.
- When I listen to my own dietetic advice… it works…
- Finding the balance between working and being a good mum and wife is hard, it’s hard on my brain and hard on my heart, but the more I do it, the more I get used to it… but it’s not really easier.
- I really enjoy music… listening to it and being part of it.
- Watching kids learn things we take for granted is the best… how the world works, what things do and how to use their muscles and brains.. I could watch Isaac work out life forever…
- It’s important to be deliberate about including people in your life… if you aren’t they will disappear. Make time for the ones you love.
- Birds are actually pretty amazing… I still don’t want to touch them, but I like to know what they are.
- Making time for reading is also really good for my heart and my soul
- Stats, facts and competitions, even if they are just with myself make me achieve more in a moment than I do without the push.
- Being deliberate about family time has to be a priority… Dave and Isaac are my most important people and making memories with them is the best way to spend my free time.
- Exercise and learning are addictive
- Play centres are dirty… and they set off all my germ phobias, but they are fun and Isaac loves them so we will keep going.
- Swimming laps can clear the mind and bring clarity… but it does come with an epic google eye ring.
- I am much handier with a needle and thread than I ever thought I could or would be.
- Cuddles from Isaac are the greatest gift.
- I am so thankful for those who have gone before me who have fought for justice so that I don’t have to.
- Time passes quickly, writing things down as they happen is the best way to remember and savour them.
- I still love the Langham and everything about it.
- Traveling with a baby is both easier and harder… I am much less stressed about having the things I need and much more stressed about everything else.
- Grandparents are lifesavers that make the world spin.
- Sometimes it is impossible to say thank you enough.
- I will never stop listing.
- I am still surprised by how strong my body is and the more I push it, the stronger it gets.
- I value quiet time more than I ever thought I would… silence is magic to my ears
- Distance is nothing between besties, but it doesn’t make it any less exciting when you find out she will be home soon enough
- I am still more attached to my phone than I would like… but I think I am getting better with it slowly
- If I just exercise in the morning, it will be over and done with and I won’t have to think about it again for the rest of the day… I should do this
- I have more than I need, I always have… I need to take time to remember this often.
- The hard bits of life make you appreciate the sweet bits all the more.
Here we go 32… lets do this.